Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Inaugural Deer Dash 5K

This morning my kids and I participated in the Deer Dash 5K and 1 mile fun run at Deer Crossing Elementary School in New Market (MD). This was a little tricky with Andrea in Las Vegas, but all in all it worked out pretty well. Temps were around 70 with high humidity under thickening clouds.

Upon arrival I was expecting to have to push Skylar in her stroller for the race, but I soon found the Lincoln actually WANTED to keep Skylar! With a lot of other kids present, a nearby playground, and several people milling around that knew me, I wasn't too worried about leaving Skylar with Rae and Linc, so I was free to run all out! Yeah!

Shortly after signing up (a little disappointed that they were out of T-shirts - more for the kids than for me), we bumped into Jay Silvio. It was great to finally meet someone from the MCM Forum in 3D! Still on the mend from hamstring and calf issues, Jay was planning on taking this race conservatively (which meant maybe he wouldn't win).

Lincoln and Raeann signed up for the 1 mile fun run. Lincoln's funny when you get him to one of these things. He takes his event seriously. He joined me for part of my warm up, and later on he ran some more on his own before his race started.

But the 5K was first. I planned out my target splits based on my most previous 5K earlier this month, although I expected this to be the hillier course. At the Mission of Mercy 5K, I simply went out a bit too fast (6:40 the first mile) and faded to the 7:20s for the last 2 miles, for a 22:08. I wanted to run a more even race this time, and especially take it easy early since I knew hills were coming. As for the hills, I drove part of the course yesterday and knew the start was mainly downhill, hills were plentiful along that drive, but didn't seem too bad. Nothing I shouldn't be ready for. There were a couple of segments of the course which I could not drive because they were on bike paths. I assumed those parts were fairly flat. (Idiot!)

I figured I'd try to run a 7 min first mile and then slow a bit through more uphills to the 7:20s for the second 2 miles. If all went well, maybe I could repeat that 22:08.

So we start and I refrain from getting caught up in the sprinters off of the starting line. I consciously take it easy, letting several more people get ahead of me than in that last 5K race. Through that early downhill and just ran easy and felt decent, confident that I was running a smarter race this time.

My first mile split? 6:35. WTF! I actually went out faster than last time! And again I paid for it. Although I attacked the hills steadily, I soon learned that those bike trail sections were the worst parts!!! Down down down up up up! I'm at 14:30 after 2 miles. I'm not far into the 3rd mile, trudging along more bike path, cursing the course planners and the word "sadistic" pops into my head!

During the race there were a couple of cul-de-sac out and backs which allowed us to see runners in front of and behind us. The first time I saw Jay I think he was in about 4th place. Later I think I saw him again, but don't know what hisplace was. Tim O'Keefe, who I tried to shadow in the MOM 5K, was again well ahead of me, as were many of the same runners that I knew from the Steeplechasers: Steve Dobson, Steve Pilarcik, Chad Connors, the Blacks (Ron and Beverly). Beverly finished one place ahead of me at the MOM 5K, probably 30 seconds faster.

Today I keyed on Beverly as much as anyone else, and I was actually staying with her a little better this time than last. I think the hills might have been hurting her just a tiny bit more.

Another runner I have to mention is a little kid; a middle schooler! I recalled passing him around mile 1 thinking here's another of these kids that sprinted at the start and used everything up. Well, he proved me wrong a mile later by passing me again! He and Beverly were the next runners ahead of me during the last mile, along with another guy that I saw Beverly pass.

With a 1/4 mile to go we turn into the driveway for the school. I notice Jay doing a cooldown and he cheers me on. A couple seconds later I hear the MCM Forum Battle Cry, "Suck it up, Ron, suck it up!" Aw, shit, so I do. With a quick burst I pass the guy that Beverly had passed. Then things get a little interesting.

The course at the finish does a double zig-zag (it goes zig-zag-zig). Entering the first zig, one could also bear left (cutting through a phalanx of cones) and start down the final zig. As I'm picking it up, I see that both the kid and Beverly had done this! Having driven the course previously and studied the finish, I knew I had to stay right and I did. (Chalk that up to experience - it ain't always bad to be in your 40s!) They both get back on track, but by this time I've caught right up to them and had passed the kid. Beverly is still maybe 30 feet ahead of me. So we get to the zag. At the zag, one could also take a wider turn and go to the final zig, but in reverse, to the finish line. To my shock Beverly is doing just that! I'm seeing her head to the finish in one direction and I see someone else coming from the opposite (correct) direction! They're on a collision course! I put my head down and go down the zag. Beverly had done herself in.

My kick is not particularly strong at this stage and, wouldn't you know it, the kid comes flying by me on the left! He had my respect at mile 2, but now I was downright impressed! I pick it up and stay with him around the bend for the final zig, but I'm thinking that unless he totally burns out, I can't pass this kid. He's ran a great race and earned his place. I shadow him to the finish line and I finish in 23:09, maybe 2 seconds back of The Kid, Billy Czajkowski. I end up in 29th place out of 263 finishers (top 11%). That percentile is really skewed, though, because there were a TON of middle and even elementary school kids running.

Given the hills, I'll take the 23:09. I'd like to be at the point where I go sub 23 no matter what, but I guess I'm not too far from that. I'm curious what I could do on a flat course.
'
Raeann is ready to run her mile!

The 1 mile fun run goes well for Raeann and Lincoln, and I pushed Skylar along the course as well. Lincoln finished in around 7:39 and says he finished somewhere between 5th and 8th, but I suspect that the distance was a bit less than a full mile. I end up running along with Raeann most of the way. She's not particularly intense when it comes to races, nor particularly coordinated, but she'd run and walk her way steadily. She finished with a kick and came in at about 13 minutes. All 3 kids got finisher's ribbons!


We stuck around for the awards - Jay took 2nd Overall - and grabbed some food. Chatted with several people and took a couple pictures. The band that played the whole time was surprisingly good, if you ask me. I don't expect bands playing in Frederick County to be playing music that I'll like, but they did!

A fun, challenging, and educational race!

Jay Silvio and I after the race




1 comment:

bczismyname said...

uh hi, this is the kid billy czajkowski i googled my name and this came up, my mom let me blog u so i could say thanks for writing about me, it was a pleasure running with you and i hope to see you next year at the deer dash :-)