Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Gone to the Dogs

Last summer during my MCM training I went for a long run while visiting my in-laws in RURAL Potter County PA. About 4 miles into a 15 mile run I was greeted by some sort of springer mix along some farmland. He joined me. After about 5 miles of him trotting along with me (I tried to tell him he ought to go home) or bounding off into the woods briefly, I could tell he was starting to wonder when I was going to stop running. He kept looking up at me. "Dude," I told him, "we ain't even close yet." But he was obviously a fit hunting dog and kept right on running.

At around mile 12, while again at my side, he looked up at me - a frothy spittle seeping out one side of his mouth, tongue out the other - with an unmistakable, "WTF???"

I grinned. Next little creek we passed, he ditched me for a drink and never came back. I had run a healthy, athletic dog into the ground! To this day one of my proudest achievements in running!

1 comment:

Big Brother said...

Poor dog is probably still trying to find his way home. Little kids at home saying, "Fluffy, where are you???"